Saturday 14 November 2015

The Damnation of Pythos...

The Damnation of Pythos...

Hello everyone. its not often i share my thoughts on the Horus heresy book series, however this time, i feel i have to.




I think this is book 31 in the series, i could be wrong.

I found this book to be the most boring book I've read in the series, by a considerable margin. its absolutely dire.

I found the infamous battle for the abyss far superior to this.

Im not sure if its because it features both the Iron hands and Salamanders who i feel are the least interesting of the chapters.

Anyway, i want to know if its just me? or if anyone else has this issue?



As always thank you very much for visiting the site----------if you have any questions or comments please feel free to share them!----------You can help us out by joining us on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/Scifiwargamers or Following us on twitter Here: @Marsekay-------If youre feeling VERY generous,by using the donate button or finally just browsing the site! ----------Thanks for visiting from the SciFiWargamers team.

6 comments:

  1. Not just you, Pythos is by far and away the worst book in the series, and should never have been released.

    The editors really failed to do their jobs on this one. The pacing, the characters, the storyline were all abysmal.

    The book felt entirely contrived to produce the end state and introduce a protagonist for the wider heresy. It could probably have been tackled in a short story.

    All in all, 1 out of 5 stars. Would not recommend and would not read again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's not just me!
    I agree with the short story thing. I was reading this during lunch breaks at work. Usually a heresy novel takes me 2 weeks (ish) to read. This took over 2 months. I remember saying something had finally happened in the last few pages. And then it ended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a very slow book which tries very hard to be intellectual and fails...
    I have read nearly all of the HH series now and find it's not just this novel that struggles, the series while including some amazing high point's really is and does run out of steam as it drags on. I know this may well be a very controversial thing to say but I feel that the HH series of novels is sadly milking what was once a cash cow but has dried up over time.
    I love the fluff behind the 30k/40k universes as well as some of the wonderful characters but sadly think the HH books have run themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mate,
      I think its the novels that deviate from the actual known series of events.
      The short story collections i feel do a good job for these stories, it would appear whole novels are not really warranted.
      But like you say, the pace has slowed right down in the last couple of years, its almost as if they realise they are nearing the end and apart from the siege of terra (and the scouring which should provide YEARS of movels), theres not much left is there?
      Its almost as if the party started and nobody wants to be there first so they are dragging their heels and we are feeling it!
      Onwards to Terra!

      Delete
  4. Pythos is a turgid, dire trudge through an inconsequential backwater of the setting. The main issues for me were that it started nowhere, went nowhere, contained no-one of note, developed no characters you actually gave a damn about, and left you with no-one you'd care about seeing again later in the series. All to establish a link between the 30k and 40k settings. An exercise in boredom and frustration from start to finish... 😑

    I think it stands out like Battle for the Abyss because the series was on a good run... On the bright side I'm reading Legacies of Betrayal at the moment and it's a return to form, albeit in short story anthology format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%
      I'm also now reading legacies of betrayal. Although I've already heard the brother hood of the storm audio drama, which I quite liked, I'm enjoying the rest of the book.
      Really good stuff. :-)

      Delete